Monday, November 29, 2004

Kuih Melayu

I had laksa johor for lunch at the KLCC food court - paid RM8 for it.
Standard KLCC price, didn't complain much.
Finished my bowl in 5 minutes, either it was that good or I was that hungry (or both).
It was a bit spicy, decided to neutralise the chilli aftertaste with something sweet.
My eyes locked on some kuih melayu as I was walking towards the escalator.
Without thinking much, I asked for a slice of kuih bakar and kuih seri muka, my two favourite kuih melayu.
Asked the cashier how much and he unflinchingly said RM2.50.
RM2.50 for two slices of kuih melayu?
Since when?
Just because you have a fancy french-sounding name for your outlet, you think this gives you the right to charge obscenely for your kuih?
Fished out RM2.50 and paid.
Walked away, kuih in hand.
Why did I pay RM2.50 for two slices of kuih?
Then again why not?
Why can I pay RM8 for a slice of tiramisu or white chocolate cheesecake but not RM2.50 for two slices of kuih melayu?
(I must add that the kuih melayu were delicious)
I guess it's an adjustment we have to make, or do we have to?
I'm still at odds with this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home